Welcome to Portreath School
A message from Mrs Pamplin during school closure:
A video Easter message from the staff:
Head Teacher’s Welcome
Portreath Primary school is a village school that prides itself on its very special relationship with its community. It is school where everyone knows and cares about each other. Portreath is a happy school that is committed to helping children do, and be their very best. We believe that happy children are the most successful learners. It is a place where children know they matter, they believe in themselves and try to be the best that they can be.
We are part of Crofty Multi Academy Trust- a trust where staff care passionately about children and a trust that aims for all children to receive great teaching, every day. Each school is unique and works together to support and challenge each other.
At Portreath we see children as individuals with their own needs, interests and strengths. We want every child to feel special and feel listened to. We want everyone to feel proud of who they are and what they achieve. We focus on developing a good relationship with each child and knowing them as individuals. We want children to enjoy their childhood and have fun. We want to fill children with positive experiences and ignite their fires for learning. We aim to create lifelong learners with a passion for life and a inner confidence.
Building on the foundations already laid, home and school work closely together to ensure children attain high standards whilst enjoying and developing a love of learning. I am keen to ensure parents always feel welcome. I am available most days to chat to parents before or after school and if you need a longer meeting, Mrs Jones would be more than happy to make an appointment for you to meet with me. I understand that only by working together can we ensure the success of our children
Our school looks always to the future and we are keen to keep on improving. Recent developments have included:
- The improvement of the Early Years environment to make it more enabling and the children more independent
- Embedding the key learning behaviours-be brave, ready, resilient, responsible and happy
- Helping staff and children to develop a growth mindset
- Achieving Plastic Free Status by reducing the use of single use plastics
- A consistent approach to the teaching of phonics to support reading and writing
- Developing outdoor learning
- Developing our teaching of Mathematics and adopting a mastery approach
- Improving well-being and mental heath by using the training and principles of Trauma Informed and Mental Health Aware School approach (TIS)
We are currently:
- Further developing our curriculum to ensure there are clear sequences of learning in all subjects
- Developing the support for children with special education needs to further improve their academic progress
- Exploring ways to engage children in order for them to produce high quality writing
- Embedding our approach to reading across the school including the use of VIPERS (vocabulary, infer, predict, explain, retrieve and summarise)
- Developing the EYFS with a focus on reading, writing and maths
- Consolidating our development work in maths
There is always so much going on at Portreath School, with the children experiencing many enrichment opportunities. To get a flavour of this why not look at our weekly newsletters that are available on this website under the newsletters tab.
If you are interested in our school and would like to arrange a visit, please contact Mrs Caroline Jones, School Secretary, or myself, and we would be delighted to show you around.
Mrs Cassie Pamplin